Thursday, December 08, 2005

Firefox

I am and have always been a fan of Firefox. If you aren't using this as your browser, then you are missing out on a lot of features. Two of the features which I now cannot live without is TABBED BROWSING and AD BLOCKING. These two alone are worth the download.

What is newsworthy is the fact that Firefox is now eating up Microsoft's market share. The goal of Firefox is to achieve a 10% market share of the browser market by the end of the year. Right now they are about 8% or 9%.

Big deal you may say? Consider that at one point Microsoft's IE virtually held 99% of the browser market.

Personally I can't believe that Firefox's market share is 9%. In fact, I THINK IT IS MUCH HIGHER. Almost all of the tech guys I know use Firefox. Based on Sitemeter, the browser share of my other blog is 71% IE and 23% Firefox!

4 Comments:

Anonymous PHL said...

I realize TABBED BROWSING is an interesting feature of the FIREFOX if not the most intrigueing for an user.

But for the light of me, I can't figure out exactly what is the advantage over IE (or any Mosaic-based) brower's ability to open multiple "windows." Beside if you have more than one monitor, you can move the new instances or "window" to the other monitor. I seriouly doubt that you could do that with Tabbed Browsing, and even if you could detach the tab, then wouldn't it be the same as the "window"'d thing if IE and the like?

I do agree however that the FIREFOX is a very interesting replacement for IE and the like. One of the best feature in my opinion is that it is open source and it's practically risk free, especially if you wait for the stable version instead of rushing with the beta version. And to top that, no expense is necessary except for the Internet connection to download it. (And a slight investment of time, depends on how fast your bandwidth is.)

But my concern would be: how long would this remain free? Would there be some kind of subscription (charge) eventually? How soon would this happen? And what would the impact be on its user base once they become for fee? Just sharing my thought by thinking out loud. I am all for innovation and security. :-)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Buwayah said...

I don't think a lot of us have multiple monitors . .

11:21 AM  
Anonymous PHL said...

I would have expect someone with your background and financial strength would have considered multiple monitors (or is it LCD's?)? :-)

Anyway, like I said, I respect very much the openess of the FIREFOX but remember OPERA? Didn't seem to be able to capture a large enough crowd to drastically alter the market so I'm on a wait and see. By the way, if you ever installed the AOL Instant Messenger, the latest version include AOL Explorer and that has Tabbed Browsing so this feature might be on its way to become part of the standar browsing experience anyway. :-)

10:49 AM  
Blogger Buwayah said...

Ha ha ha. You flatter me . . . I only have one LCD but now you gave me an idea . . .

Some time back I did consider Opera, but the whole adware thing turned me off . . .

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home